Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How Significant

How significant is John 3:16? I went to two funerals this weekend, one on Saturday in Arizona and one on Sunday here in California. Let me state the obvious - the promise of everlasting life is extremely significant. Because of what Jesus did for us through His death and resurrection (Romans 3:23, Romans 3:24, Romans 5:1, Romans 5:8, Romans 6:23, and Romans 10:9) believers can have assurance (John 5:24) of everlasting life. Though we die in the flesh, we do not suffer a spiritual death. Both funerals were for men who were born again Christians. I knew little about Nicole's Uncle Bob, having only met him once, so it was wonderful to hear about how he had used his "Great Beginnings" business (I believe it is a pre-school or after school program) as a way to bless families and teach children about Jesus. The other funeral was for my Uncle Harry. The gospel was proclaimed at both funerals, but I was struck with awe at my Uncle Harry's funeral. He had each of his 3 sons come up and deliver Gospel presentations for all to hear. What a legacy! I hope that if I am granted any children by God that He will allow me to teach them in such a way that at my funeral they could deliver accurate and thought provoking Gospel presentations for the attendees at my funeral who are not yet born again.

The funerals were different in nature though. The funeral for Nicole's Uncle Bob, who was in his 50s and passed away from brain cancer, was more somber. Having just gone through losing my dad last year, I empathize with Bob's daughter's who are left behind (both in my age range). They will have a tough year ahead of them. I was glad that we were able to see Nicole's cousin Melissa and her husband who we have vacationed with in the past (we went to Mexico with them a few years back). The other funeral was more celebratory in nature. My Uncle Harry was 82 years old when he went home to be with the Lord. Not nearly as many tears, perhaps due to the fact that he was elderly. It is painful when we lose a loved one earlier than perhaps we expected. I am glad both men had testimonies of loving the Lord. One day my time will come and I will join them in the presence of Jesus. Until then I press on with the hope of John 3:16 in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment